Monday, November 26, 2007

Dhaka City Life



Yesterday, I traveled throughout the city and I saw a lot. So much that I had to take pictures every opportunity I was presented with. My day started with riding the rickshaws (Fyi: Rickshaws: Bicycles with seats in the back, like bicycle taxi) . Due to the political situation in Bangladesh I was told not to wander the streets too much. (These days the caretaker government is organized by the military, so everywhere I go I see an army officer. I feel safe but then it’s scary because I was told that military tends to be very heartless.) But you know me, Ms. Adventurous. I had to get out of the house and explore! Sitting in the Rikshaw I felt bad because of the pain that the men experience riding people through the heat over and over again. I wanted to ask the Rikshawala his story. I heard from my uncle that certain mobs run the money situation of the beggars and drivers which include the Rikshawalas in Dhaka. That’s crazy to me because there is a business to all the madness and chaos over here.

The destination point today was Dhanmondi where I visited a few lakes and museum/house where one of the leading architects of Bangladesh Sheikh Mujibur Rahman and his family were murdered. It was kind of scary going in there because I could feel the homeliness of the museum. The murders were atrocious. His blood stains were saved, and there were a few pictures of his dead body in there also. Death is inevitable. Seeing that made me think wow…I really have to live the best I can. You never know what can happen…NOTHING is guaranteed. After that my I visited an astrologer. I didn’t feel like getting my future read so I just took a picture. He was adorable. He sat with a book, and his magnifying glass. It was too cute. Then I got my henna done by these two men. It was cheap henna by the way! By the time I made it home, it all rubbed off grr…


On my way back I stopped by Dhaka University and donated some money to the cyclone victims. I noticed that there is a strong sense student activism there. Or maybe it is my love for scholarly atmospheres. Though the streets were rampant with disorder, these students were demonstrating and collecting money for the many victims that died. That really touched my heart and gave me so much hope…

If I were to paint a picture of the streets I would say that it’s very chaotic. It feels like New York City turned upside down. There is people everywhere, beggars, Rikshawala’s, Mercedes, Highlanders, Scooter cars, broken limbs, Mc Donalds, piles of garbage, people squatting and taking their poopee in the middle of the streets, vegetables being sold outside from farms, slobs of meat hung at out door bazaars, Hijras (Transvestites)…Its just so overwhelming. Dhaka is a jungle. The whole time, I was told to keep all my senses clear because ANYTHING can happen.

My next stop is a few orphanages this week. My goal is to volunteer and build and alliance with the orphanages out here with America for my nonprofit cause I will be building J I will keep you all updated….Thanks so much for visiting my page. I love you all! SOOOOOO MUCH! Ps: I have internet hehe J I don’t mind squatting in the toilets, and taking the humbling bucket baths that make me FREEZE my ass off as long as I got my internet hahhaha…

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Tania ~
I'm soooooo loving your blog......
and although oceans and skies apart ~ ~ ~ ~
being able to see you in photos and read about your mission and experiences warms my heart!
Hope you got your poem (:
I'm about to drive 5 hours north from nyc to Vermont to warrior tomorrow...am very excited !
you are continually in my prayers and thoughts...
and I know that you are protected and loved~
that orange moon shines his light for you (:

With immeasurable pride , admiration and love.....
your warrior ~ scot xoxo

Unknown said...

You are Turkish not Bangladeshi. Your face says you are one of those short-brained home fled Turkish girl.