Saturday, December 1, 2007

The Beauty of Peace









Hi everyone. I apologize for the delayed response...lately so much has been going on. The most mundane daily activities fascinate me. I am learning the value of patience, and living simply. LA has such a fast paced life. Some days here, I wake up in the morning, have some tea, watch CNN/BBC, spend time with my Grandma, explore the outside world, eat lunch, read, and later in evening write. I understand that sometimes, in life it’s okay to move slowly. I think more. I write more. I feel more this way. Each day I step outside I understand the value of life. I almost died the other day on the Rickshaw. In the middle of a crowded intersection a bus was coming full speed 50 miles unaware of my Rickshaw. I missed the bus by a fragment of a second. At that point I realized how important life was. I could have been gone that instant. Here in the city there are no street signs, or organized form of transport. Consequently When I leave outside to do my groceries, or just people watch I make sure that all my senses are wide awake. I am at peace. Here is a quick rundown of my trip so far:

November 29th, 2007: My mother doesn’t realize the dangers of going out in the city. Bangladesh is currently in the state of emergency. Currently, a military government is in charge. So everywhere I go, I happen to an army officer. Certain areas are prohibited for traveling, especially in the night. But my mother likes to be “adventurous”, we visited a place called “The Stadium.” In this area stereos and electronic devices are sold. I had no idea about this place. This environment is surrounded by MEN. And there is a very ghostly atmosphere outside the stores. When I walked inside, I felt scared. My gut feeling told me this was a very dangerous place to be visiting. The men kept looking at me weird. I wore all black that day. These men reminded me I was a foreigner. I was constantly being stare at. I heard strange mumbles like “she’s a bidesh “(foreigner) or is this girl an “Arab?” I was REALLY happy to hear ARAB. Why? Because I knew if they smelled American, I was going to be an American roast cooked alive! Anyhow, I alerted my mother that I felt a bad energy in the stadium. We left. When I came home, I asked my family members about this stadium place. They were in shock that we even stepped foot there in the evening. I learned from my uncle that, many of these men are from Madarasas. For those of you who don’t know Madarassas are Islamic schools where often time’s extremist versions of Islam are taught. Many of the boys are orphans or of poorer backgrounds. They are brainwashed to die for Islam and kill anyone that looks suspect aka American. In essence, that night, our lives were in danger.

November 28th, 2007: I spent time with my cousin. During her childhood, she suffered from epilepsy. She fears anything. People, school, getting her eye brows done all scare her. For whatever reason though, she enjoys my company. I can see through her. She has immense potential. Partial reasons for her fear includes the way our family treats her. Most of them think she is really stupid because she hates going to school. This girl has infinite potential. If she puts her mind into something that she is passionate about she will excel immediately. Thus far I have learned a lot from her. She is teaching me about college life. It’s so different here from America. Students aren’t allowed to wear make up to school, and they are beaten if they are social. School is only for studying, nothing else. Sometimes teachers threaten their students with violence. The system is very stern.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

the first snow in kokomo ~
in Areatha Franklin's song that soothes and inspires , the tinkling of the piano.....
her beautiful voice.... as the song begins ...always seems to be the first thought and then feeling I get when the first flakes of snow kiss the ground every year....
such was the case this morning when I woke up this morning.....nyc covered with an inch of a white blanket.....soon to be blackened by the realities and grime of an american city......
my beacon of light and trailblazer of love so far away yet close to all our hearts (:
Tania.....grateful to you for sharing your journey east cross the oceans with me ....us....
grateful that you are ok after that harrowing experience surrounded by danger and hard realities.... yet undaunted in a way.... even as your gut and spirit told you something is not right here.......
fruit never falling far from the tree (:
two brave women!

As I depart for Africa for the first time in my life in 3 weeks.....your journals and entries warm and provoke.....help me think outside my own experiences to date......
Knowing full well your boundless curiosity and divine purpose of touching , loving and helping those in need will bring you to other challenges and places where danger and pain lurk....
I continue everyday to take time to send my love , thoughts and prayers of protection and healing....
with that.... visions of a glowing orange moon shining beams towards his bengali moon ~
xoxo scot ....your warrior ~ ~ ~ ~

Anonymous said...

tania, i am so gladeto read this. you are great at finding the perfect words sometimes. taking it slow, you feel more, and that doens't mean you are not moving on, simply feeling more:)love ariana

Carmen Chang said...

I miss you like crazy! Please remember to STAY SAFE and take care of both yourself and your mama. Love you!

OldSoul said...

wow,, the blog about your mom is so much like myself, being all adventurous and wanting to run around, but then I see myself in you in the way that you sense the negativity and instinctively want to leave.. also , I want to be ur cousins friend!